Nowadays, Windows devices come with a single drive partition, i.e., C: by default. This drive in your Windows 10 system stores all the system files and program installation files. Instances may occur when you may get an error message like ‘Low disk space’ while storing any data in it. Whenever you experience such a situation, your mind will think at first to vacant storage of the C drive for more space. But this method will make no alteration subsequently a short time period.
When the partition space is not sufficient, you may start facing a lot of problems. Especially, you will be unable to save new programs on your PC, and it even slows down the performance of your system. In such cases, it is important to know the actual techniques to rise C drive space in Windows devices. Here, this article provides how escalate the space in the C drive on Windows 10 without losing data.
What Causes Low Storage Issue on Windows Devices?
Usually, Windows OS stores copies of data, like Windows Updates, memory dump files used to troubleshoot error messages, temporary internet files, and Windows upgrade files. With the passage of time, the amount and size of such files start increasing. Such residual data is often not important when the purpose is served. In such cases, you need to remove this data to enhance space in your C: drive and boost your device performance. However, if any important data gets deleted, you can use professional data recovery software to get the deleted data back.
When your device uses a lot of storage to store files, its hard drive starts fragmenting, which degrades your system performance. If there is not enough virtual memory space on your system storage partition, it will start freezing. To avoid such a situation, you need to extend the C drive on Windows device.
Different Methods to Extend Space in C Drive in Windows 10
There are different methods by which you can escalation C drive storage area or spread the Windows 10 system divider. Here, in this part of the blog, we have provided two top-notch solutions to extend the c drive. Let’s discuss them in detail:
Method 01: Increase Space in C Drive via Disk Management
Windows in-built disk management tool is the best option for extending the c drive. To apply this method, users should ensure that there must be unallocated space available on your system. This unallocated space will help you in extending the partitions. Before you start this method, it is important to create a backup of all the data stored on your PC. However, you can use free data recovery software available online if any data loss occurs. Now, go through the following steps to know how to escalate the storage in C drive using Disk Management:
- Firstly, select and right-click on “My Computer” from the main menu of your Windows device.
- Now, select the Manage option from the drop-down menu followed by clicking the Storage option.
- From the next window, choose the Disk Management option.
- Now right-click the partition that you want to extend and select the “Extend volume” option from the drop-down menu.
- After that, you need to set the size of the partition. You can keep the size as per your requirement and then click the Next button to continue.
- Once the process of extending the partition gets completed, click the “Finish” button to complete the action.
Now check if more space is available on the C drive, and you are able to save data and backups without any warning.
Method 02: Increase Space in C Drive on Windows 10 Using CMD
Just like disk management, you can use Windows Command Prompt (CMD) to extend the C drive partition. Go through the following steps to increase space in C drive on Windows 10 using this built-in utility tool:
- Firstly, press the Windows and X keys simultaneously to open the Command prompt. Run CMD with administrative privileges.
- Type the “list disk” & thrust the Enter button. This will display all the disks registered through particulars.
- Now, tick the “select disk n” & thrust Enter button. In place of “n”, you need to provide the required disk digit that you need to extend.
- Next, type the command: “list partition” and thrust the Enter button to continue. You will get the particulars of all the dividers in the aimed disk on the shade.
- After that, enter “select partition x” and with “x” will be your target partition. Then, thrust Enter button.
- Input the “Extend” button and pin Enter to successfully complete the process of increasing space in the C drive.
How Can You Restore Accidentally Deleted Files?
Instances may occur when some important files get deleted all of a sudden or by mistake while applying the above-mentioned methods. When such a situation arises, don’t panic. There are several professional data recovery software programs available online that you can use to recover deleted files. We recommend you use Stellar data recovery professional software to recover any file on the storage device, including hard drives, USB drives, SSD drives, etc. The software is compatible with Windows 11, 10, 8 & 7 and even many versions of macOS.
Stellar Data Recovery Professional software is quite easy to use and can help you to recover files even from emptied Recycle Bin and RAW partitions. It also allows you to retrieve data stored on a crashed or unbootable Windows PC. Go through the following simple steps to know how to recover deleted data files on Windows PC using the Stellar Data Recovery Professional software:
Step 1: At first download the updated Stellar Data Recovery Professional software in your system and install it.
Step 2: Inaugurate the application and select the type of data that you want to recover. Click the “Next” button to continue.
Step 3: Choose the folder position or capacity of the drive from where you need to recover data and tick “Scan”.
Step 4: Once the scanning process gets completed, click the “Recover” button to save the recovered data.
Hope, these methods help you to quickly increase space in the C: drive on Windows 10 system without losing data. Apart from the above-mentioned methods, you can delete unwanted files from the C drive to extend its size. However, if any important file gets deleted while applying these methods, you can use professional data recovery software to get the deleted files back. Software like Stellar data recovery professional software will definitely help you to recover deleted files. Must give it a try!