Are you aware of Brain-eating amoeba? If so, here is a fresh case, and we are describing all the information related to it in our post Brain Eating Amoeba Lake Mead.
Have you been to Lake Mead on the Colorado River United States? Are you aware of the incident related to it? Do you know anything about a brain-eating amoeba?
There are many questions people are asking related to it when a teenager from Las Vegas died of it.
Stay connected if you also want to know what happened, how he died, and how fatal brain-eating amoeba is. We will discuss everything in our post, Brain Eating Amoeba Lake Mead.
Brain Eating Amoeba Infection Report
A boy from Las Vegas lost his life due to an infection from a brain-eating amoeba. The teen is not identified yet, but the investigation shows that he had been exposed to the warm water of lake Mead.
The report is published after confirmation from CDC, and now people are showing concern regarding it. According to Nevada Health District, he was exposed to it at the beginning of October and later developed symptoms.
According to CDC, 154 cases of infection and death were reported in the US from 1962 to 2021. Although infection from this microscopic organism is very rare, people need to be cautious Brain Eating Amoeba Lake Mead while entering freshwater lakes, rivers, etc.
What is Naegleria fowleri?
The brain-eating amoeba’s official name is Naegleria fowleri, a microscopic-sized amoeba that lives in freshwater and soil. It is the only species among Naegleria that infects people. The amoeba can enter the body through the nose when you dive in, swim, or even put your head into freshwater.
How fatal is Naegleria fowleri?
When the amoeba travel to the brain through the nose, it starts eating brain tissue. It causes infection, and it is called Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM), which is fatal. Remember, this amoeba is not fatal when swallowed, but when it reaches the brain cause death.
Is Brain Eating Amoeba Lake Mead present?
The amoeba lives in freshwater, and the favorable condition for Naegleria fowleri is temperature ranging from 77f to 115F. Therefore, people should avoid entering such water, especially during summer.
Also, people should try to keep their heads above water level when they visit untreated springs or rivers. People can avoid the infection when they remain cautious and aware of the risk. Area-wise case reports of PAM can be seen here. https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/state-map.html
What are the symptoms?
An infected person will show symptoms after five to seven days. The expert says that when symptoms show up, it grows rapidly and leads to death within five to six days. The symptoms are headache, nausea, fever and later confusion, stiff neck, hallucinations, etc.
From the case of Brain Eating Amoeba Lake Mead, we should learn the risk and beware when entering untreated water but should not panic. The disease is rare but fatal. You can check the full news here.
How frequently do you dive and swim? Do not panic about this news but stay aware. Comment your views on it.
Brain Eating Amoeba Lake Mead – FAQs:
1 – Where can brain-eating amoeba be found?
In freshwater, temperature above 80F. But it can also live in the water below temperature 80F.
Naturally hot water such as springs.
Industrial or power plant warm water discharge.
2 – Can you get the infection when you dive into salty water?
No, it is not found in salty water like the ocean. Moreover, you will also not get the infection when you swallow water.
3 – How Brain Eating Amoeba Lake Mead infects people?
Brain-eating amoeba present in Lake mead or other water sources can enter the body through the nose. People infect when they swim or put their heads inside the contaminated water. Once it travels to the brain through the nose, it starts eating cells and causes PAM, Primary Amoebic Meningoencephalitis.
4 – Can infection from one person spread to another person?
No, it cannot spread. Your precaution can prevent Brain Eating Amoeba Lake Mead from entering your body and brain.
5 – How many people died from it?
The infection is rare, but the death rate is high. According to CDC data, out of 154 infected people, only four survived in the US from 1962 to 2021.
6 – Can we treat infection?
Since the disease is rare, the treatment is also challenging. There is a certain combination of medicines used to treat people who survive. But the learning is still progressing on how to treat the infection.
7 – How does someone know about the infection?
Initial symptoms are fever, vomiting, and headache; later symptoms are lack of attention, confusion, neck stiffness, loss of balance, and hallucinations.
8 – How long it takes to show symptoms?
There are no fixed days. It can range from one to five days for initial symptoms.